Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Summer happenings



Well, we are nearing the end of yet another summer. I'm sorry to see it go.

Micah, I think, is even more excited than I for the end of the summer to come. He's been working hard to finish up pre-req's for the nursing program at Baker. Next week there will be finals, and the HESI entrance exam. After that, he will be waiting to hear if he gets into the Nursing program or not. He's staying very level headed about it all, knowing that there are only 24 spots, and over 60 people applying. I think he'll get in, no problem...am I bias? Yes, just a tad. He has pulled some late nighters, and it isn't over yet...but a week from tomorrow it will be. I'm glad for him, and his very anxious classmates.

Tomorrow is my last day of summer program in my SXI room. I've enjoyed the 3 days a week, the fieldtrips outside, and the chance to continue working with my students on some functional living skills. My summer breakthrough was with a student  I'll call "D". D went from no handwashing to, D going from the toilet to the sink every time, sticking her hand under the soap, washing with assistance, and drying her hands independently. This is why I love my job. It's these little things that we take for granted, that are real break throughs for so many of our SXI students. Whats funnest is seeing the joy in their face when they realize what they did ON their own. Yeay :) Insert "happy dance" here.

Micah and I together have enjoyed our summer overall...between all the hustle and bustle of work and classes, we also made a point to make time for fun. We got involved in a 20's/30's group at our church, and realized we aren't the only people that sometimes feel lost. We went kayaking/fishing, which when done together, was a lot of fun! We made it to Chicago to visit my little brother, which while quick (and extremely hot) was much needed. We had friends visit, and there are still more to come in the next couple of weeks! Yeay :). We've also gardened, and gardened...canned, and frozen...and are no where near done. There is still corn, squash, zucchini, and pounds of tomatoes to be taken care of. It's a good problem, and will be great when in the winter we can go down to our little storage area of canned goods, and just grab something to throw in a pot for dinner. Acquantinces have become friends, family get togethers have been memorable, and a camping trip to the U.P. is still planned for September.

It's a bittersweet feeling knowing that summer is coming to an end. But I have to admit the other day, waking up to the chilly breeze was exciting. I'm looking forward to fall, changing leaves, longsleeve shirts, apple cider, and donuts! (bubbles form over head with the thought, " I need to start experiementing now on Gluten Free donuts"...)



Alright...calling it a night.

Aud

No comments:

Post a Comment