So this summer (as all do) went by fast! Some snapshots of summer:
My dad went through 6 weeks of radiation and his tumor was nearly gone by the time it ended. So grateful. Now I just hope he'll continue to work on quitting smoking (no, he hasn't quit, but he has made huge gains, and deserves to be proud for that...remember it's a habit he's had for at least 30 years, with 2 packs a day, now it's 1 over a period of days) It's been hard to see him lose weight, get angry and frustrated, have difficulty speaking, and all his fatigue. Last week he went to the shooting range, and I was so happy to hear he's trying to get out and do fun things again...seeing him go through this (even at such an early stage), is a reminder that you HAVE to take take of yourself. Health is key to a good life, physically, mentally, emotionally....Words can't express the gratitude I have for the doctors finding his throat cancer early, now it's about motivating dad to continue to quit smoking, and encourage him in healthier lifestyle.
I picked up a bad habit: coffee...yes. 2 cups a day. I tried to spend the last week without it, and could only make it 3 days!
I ran a 5k with 2 running buddies from work, we're looking forward to doing the zombie run in the fall (I should probably lace up the shoes, only ran once since early July.... :/). While I'm excited to run another 5 k (it is enjoyable, I get it now...) I'm more excited to dress up as a zombie :)
Micah wants to do a triathlon, the m22 challenge: kayak, bike, run in early summer 2013. We're going to do it together, and should probably start training, like...now?!

Got back in touch with some beloved friends, even though many miles away, grateful to have those relationships, and the web to help us stay connected!
Built a barn! We are not quite done, we've got windows and doors to put in, trim to put on, and stain, but we're close!
The garden: always a huge task, and never enough time to process all that we should!
Strawberries and Blueberries picked, processed, and in the freezer for the next year!
Many crafts and recipes created/repeated via the help of friends and pinterest :)
Books Read: Oogy, Hole in the Gospel, and working on an autobiography of Ashley Judd (1 very inspirational humanitarian)
We met with a local agency that helps people with domestic and international adoption. While we now have 10 pounds worth of paperwork to read through, we feel so much better understanding what our options are, and understanding that the process, while expensive and time-consuming, has people that can help. Tori (the woman we sat down with) was incredible and we're excited to work more with her in the future. Our focus is to clear out our school debt before pursuing adoption, and the timeline (if we remain focused) could get us moving in the next couple of years with starting a family. We're both scared and excited, and can't wait to see what God has in store for us.
Roadtrip/Vacation/Camping: Went to the Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor, with fun stops of waterfalls, lighthouses, and sunset cruises in-between. Loved spending the time with Micah to unplug and see Gods beauty. We met some very kind people, and even ran into a version of our future selves :). We came back from a hike to find an older man and woman stuck with their ATV trying to go up the trail we came down in search of an old cemetery. We also realized that our profession after retirement, may just be serving as camphosts in the U.P. campgrounds :)
I had planned on taking the summer off, not working at all, and just relaxing, but if I'm honest with myself, I think I would have gone nuts. To withdraw from EVERYTHING to try and relax would have put me in a whirlwind, so instead, I left my 2nd job at the sports store and focused on summer school 3 days a week, with some of my favorite people; my students. It was a good summer, with some good summer staff that worked hard and loved on the students. Summer is always nice because it's a bit more relaxed, but it also helped me reflect on how burned out I've become. Reflection, while difficult, and can be a good way to re-energize and re-focus. In the 5 years I've taught, I didn't realize just how bored my classroom (students, staff AND me)had become with the daily routine. Going to a 1 week conference on teaching severely disabled students to read got me thinking...it's time for a change. We're going to not just focus on physical therapy, work routines, but we're going to incorporate academics, fun, and repetition with variety (oxymoron? yes, but I'm doing it anyway) I'm going to work with my students on reading and writing. Many will scoff and say why, but why not? They deserve the same shot as the other students, even if their non-verbal, even if it may take years (and their in their 20's), we're going to try. And we're going to have fun, damn it! I don't want to be burned out after 5 years, so change must happen. The students (and anyone for that matter) deserve to live a life at home and at school that challenges them, loves them, and lets them know they are valued.
Alright, time to get some pajama's off, tackle some projects, and look forward to what the late summer and early fall have to bring. Happy day friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment