Friday, August 3, 2012

In Memory of Justin

What I am about to share with you are my thoughts and prayers from this past week. I felt a stirring in my heart to share with anyone willing to read because I feel the message and the memory of Justin is an important reminder to us all about what life is really about. So here we go....

My heart has been filled with sadness since last week, hearing about Sgt. Justin Hansen, KIA, Operation Enduring Freedom. Today as I sit writing this, his body is traveling back to where he grew up, Kingsley. Tomorrow, his memorial service will be held at the high school he graduated in back in 2003. I was not close to Justin, I knew his name, knew he was in my brothers grade, he was a great athlete with a great smile. I passed by him in our high school hallways and would cheer him and several others on as a spectator at the football games. He graduated with my brother, and later went into the military. There he served 7 years. At the age of 26, Justin was shot to death while sweeping a house in Afghanistan. Since hearing of his death, my heart has been filled with grief. Grief for his family, grief for those who were called his friends, and grief for a life that was taken too soon. In my prayers I have asked God to give peace and comfort to his family and friends, not really knowing what else to pray for. I've questioned why this has hit me so hard, why I am constantly waking up filled with heartache for a man I went to high school with but never REALLY knew ( I still can't imagine the sorrow and sadness to those that are closest to him). Then in prayer last night, it hit me like a freight train.

Justin died for something bigger than himself. He died for his country, for my freedom.

There are soldiers dying every day for us, but until last week it never hit me. This past week it became real, because it became personal. It was a face I used to see in high school, it became my brothers friend and teammate. I don't know what his level of faith was, but I think today he's one step closer to heaven. While reading this morning I found this passage and application, and felt God saying "pay attention, look..."

"Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather, for the will of God" 1 Peter 4:1-2

Application (taken from NIV Life application study bible): We should be willing and prepared to do Gods will, and to suffer for it if necessary. Sin loses it's power to defeat us in our suffering if we focus on Christ and what he wants us to do. When our bodies are in pain, or lives in jeopardy, our real values show up clearly and sinful pleasures seem less important. If anyone suffers for doing good, and still faithfully obeys in spite of suffering, that person has made a clean break with sin.

Whether Justin knew it or not, God gave him a calling to serve. Justin served his country to his fullest, and in doing so, his values showed. He fought the enemies daily in a country that is surrounded by evil. He felt called to serve and protect, and that's what he did, faithfully to the end. 

Selfishly, I wish I had known him better, so that I could see first hand the character of selflessness that he lived out daily. I am beyond grateful and appreciative for Justin and the thousands of others past and present that have sacrificed their lives for my freedom. They have followed in the footsteps of Christ, who also followed Gods will and gave his life, so that we could have the opportunity of freedom. What better example to follow, than that of Jesus, being his ultimate hands and feet in fighting evil in this world. I hope to greet Jesus with open arms  to thank him for his sacrifice, just as I will go to Justin and the countless other heroes and thank them for their sacrifice. Dying so that those they did and didn't know, could have freedom in this life. 

My Prayer to God:
God, I know we all have different callings in this life. That your will for each of us looks different. Today God, I thank you for those who had/have the calling to serve our country, who sacrificed their life so that I may have freedom in this lifetime. I thank you for Justin, for his commitment to serving his country, and fighting the evil that exists in this world. I thank you that Justin was your hands and feet, and continue praying that peace and comfort would be felt among his family and friends, knowing Justin is an example to each and every one of us what love, selflessness, goodness, perserverense, godliness, and brotherly kindness are. 

"My Brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ"- 2 Peter 1:10-11
Welcome home Justin.

To Justin:
Thank you for opening my eyes. They have been closed for so long, inwardly focused on what I want, and what I need, what I deserve. Thank you for opening them to see just how big this world, how big of a need there is to serve, to love, and to live for something bigger than myself. My calling may not be to serve in the military, but I will pray that I can serve, love, and live in a way bigger that I could ever imagine. Just as you have done.  Thank you.

1 comment: